Saturday, October 6, 2007

Context 20: The Convention and my Catastrophe

Last weekend my wife and I attended an Ohio science fiction/fantasy/horror convention called Context 20. Unlike so many conventions that I've heard about, this one is devoted to the literature side of the genre, and only marginally concerned with the movies and television series.

Now, let me state at the onset that Context 20 was a wonderful convention, run by people who have a deep passion for genre literature and have been doing this for years. These people pulled off a great convention; an achievement made even more impressive when I found out about all the trials, the sicknesses, and even the passing of a revered member that beset them.

The word catastrophe in the subtitle doesn't refer to the convention itself but to the myriad of mistakes and blunders I made. I want to talk about what I did wrong, maybe poke fun at myself and start a conversation on what I could have done right.


Pick Your Convention Carefully


I received an e-mail from author Lucy Snyder, whom I'd recently met through the Internet, asking if I would be interested in attending Context 20 this year. I responded that I couldn't get away from work on Friday and Saturday, but I could go after work on Saturday and be there Sunday.

Conventions are an opportunity for you to meet like-minded people and share your interests.
What I should have done was carefully read everything available. I had no real idea what the focus of the convention was. I knew who a couple of the guests were, but I had no idea what panels or programs were being offered. I was very lucky to have been invited to a convention that was exactly what I wanted. I credit Lucy for knowing me well enough from my website to have realized that this was the event for me. However, because I didn't read the website or literature very carefully I missed out on some opportunities later.

Conventions are an opportunity for you to meet like-minded people and share your interests. However, you want to pick and choose your convention carefully because you want to attend an event that appeals to your interests. For instance, had this been a Star Trek convention, much as I've enjoyed the many series, I would have been disappointed. None of the guests--usually actors from the series--would have captured my attention. Overall the convention would not have been worth the money or time for me.

Register and Reserve your Hotel Room Early


My wife and I reserved a hotel room for Saturday night but we did not register for the convention ahead of time. For some reason I got it in my head that we'd register Sunday morning. When we got there I discovered that, late as I was (construction traffic conspired to make us even later than our worst case scenario), I was still in time for a panel with two of my favorite authors and the preview of a couple of movies I'd wanted to see. That alone was worth the Saturday price. However, I soon discovered that the registration table had closed a couple of hours earlier. I missed out because I hadn't taken the time to read what programs were being offered and when, and because I hadn't pre-registered.

Register for the convention as early as you possibly can. Many times con goers who register early get discounts--always a nice thing. Moreover they're assured a place in the convention no matter what. Same goes for hotels. You risk not getting a room if you don't reserve one as far in advance as possible. You don't want to get stuck sleeping at a hotel a half a mile away from the convention site.

Ask Questions


You have a question? Conventions have staff members who have your answers or who can help you find someone who does know the answers. They are there to facilitate your enjoyment of the convention, but they can't help you if you don't ask.

Meet People


After 15 years of being a librarian assistant, meeting new people almost daily and helping them, I had forgotten that there was once a time in my life when I was shy. I mean really shy. We're talking shy written in huge 72 point font.

One of the biggest draws to this convention was the chance to meet authors Lucy Snyder, Gary Braunbeck, Tim Waggoner, and Michael Arnzen. In fact, I'd corresponded with all of them via e-mail except Mr. Waggoner. I was excited. I was here to do this. I meet strangers all time so this is a piece of cake, right?

We're talking shy written in huge 72 point font.
No way. I froze and froze repeatedly. Several times I watched them walk by me and I just stood there, unable to open my mouth, my words dying in my throat. Nor did I meet anyone else. The only one I was able to speak to easily was my wife, and she seemed similarly afflicted.

If you're shy, bring someone with you to introduce you to the people you'd like to meet. Finally, in the last hour of the convention, my wife, worried that I'd leave disappointed, introduced me to Gary Braunbeck and Lucy Snyder, people she didn't know either. I finally got to talk to them, albeit briefly. Then just before we left, she introduced me to an author whose blog I'd long enjoyed, Fran Friel. Once my wife did her introductions, I was able to talk and I'm pretty certain I didn't sound like a complete moron.

Parting Thoughts


I'm sure there were more lessons to impart, but I really can't think of them right now. Oh, except one: Don't eat too many onions - you'll regret it. Honestly.

What are your suggestions for a better convention experience? Let's continue this conversation in the comments below.

(Originally posted in . . . With Intent to Commit Horror)

No comments: