Wednesday, October 10, 2007

My Kind of Calculator

Maine State Library asks "What is your library worth to you? How much would you pay out-of-pocket for your library services?"

They asked and I had to find out.

Using the Maine State Library's Library Use Value Calculator, I entered a rough estimate of the services I use my library system for and discovered that I and my family use approximately $2276.00 worth of services each month and we get it for free.

Now, realize that I work at the library so the services are right there in my face. Also I spend a lot of time on the computer for library related projects and answering reference questions. But I also have my own reference needs and I use the on-line databases a lot after hours.

Still, if you are a frequently user of the library in your area, this should give you an idea of the value of services provided. It may also give you a sense of how much more your library has to offer that you aren't utilizing.

It's your library. You should use it every chance you get.

(Originally posted in . . . With Intent to Commit Horror)

No comments: