Sunday, April 27, 2008

My First Months of Leisure December

I wanted to give you a peek at the books I've gotten through the Leisure Horror Book Club. Today we'll cover December 2007.

The next two books I got from the Dorchester Horror Book Club were The Deluge by Mark Morris and Demon Eyes by L.H. Maynard and M.P.N. Sims.

The Deluge
The Deluge


The Deluge
Author: Morris, Mark
Format: Mass Market Paperback
Type: Novel
Page Count: 342pp.
Pub. Date: November 27, 2007
Publisher: Leisure/Dorchester Publishing
Extra: Special Article
Links: Mark Morris -- Horror and Thriller Writer

It came from nowhere. The only warning was the endless rumbling of a growing earthquake. Then the water came -- crashing, rushing water, covering everything. Destroying everything. When it stopped, all that was left was the gentle lapping of waves against the few remaining buildings rising above the surface of the sea.

Will the isolated survivors be able to rebuild their lives, their civilization, when nearly all they knew has been wiped out? It seems hopeless. But what lurks beneath the swirling water, waiting to emerge, is far worse. When the floodwaters finally recede, the true horror will be revealed.



Demon Eyes
Demon Eyes


Demon Eyes
Author: Maynard, L.H. and Sims, M.P.N.
Format: Mass Market Paperback
Page Count: 338pp.
Pub. Date: November 27, 2007
Publisher: Leisure/Dorchester
Extra: First Chapter
Extra: Special Article
Links: The Official Website of Maynard-Sims
Links: Demon Eyes: The Official Website

Emma had just started her new job as personal assistant to Alex Keltner, the charismatic and powerful head of Keltner Industries. So when he asked her to attend a party he was throwing that weekend at his secluded estate, she knew better than to refuse. It would be her first party amid the extremely wealthy and powerful elite . . .

It will be a party she'll never forget . . . if she survives. At first it will be simply odd. Mysterious warnings. Strange, seductive guests. An atmosphere of lust and sexuality. Video cameras in the rooms. But as the weekend progresses, Emma will slowly learn the true nature of the guests and her mysterious host -- and the real, grotesque purpose of the party.


Evaluation of December's Selection


I fell victim to the very malaise I set this website up to combat. Because I didn't know of Mark Morris and I only know of Maynard and Sims as anthology editors, I assumed this month's offering would be the weakest of the lot. In truth, I knew nothing about these books and I judged them based on my lack of information.

In putting together this post, I did a little research and I learned some very interesting things.

Mark Morris is far from a novice author, he is a British author who has many books to his credit including two published at Dorchester/Leisure. On Dorchester's "special Feature" page, Mr. Morris has an essay about his love of the BBC television show called Survivors. He explained what the show was about and that he loved it for its unflinching depiction of "the harsh realities of life". He explained how it was those kinds of qualities he brought to The Deluge but with fewer resources and more dangers than the community on Survivors had. This is exactly what I look for in my post-apocalyptic fiction. Instead of shunning the book, I should have put it on my "to read" list.

Then I checked out L.H. Maynard and M.P.N. Sims. They are more than just anthology editors. You can visit their website and send for a free PDF file called "Ghostly Voices and Demon Eyes" on CD with a book excerpt and over 35 stories. One way to get to know a writer or writing team is to read some of their short stories. They give you an opportunity to do just that for free. On Dorchester's "Special Feature" page for Demon Eyes they write about their philosophy of writing and how this book got started. The more I read about this book, the more I wanted to read it. Once again, add another book to my "to read" list.

Do you see now why a little knowledge can be a delightful thing?


(Originally posted in . . . With Intent to Commit Horror)


This Monday I introduce the two other horror book clubs which will launch a monthly series examining the books I get from each club. See it in in . . . With Intent to Commit Horror

No comments: