Sunday, December 28, 2008

Did You Know?

Did you know about whatsmyipaddress.com where you can find out instantly what your I.P. address is?

How about downforeveryoneorjustme.com? You can plug in any web address and find out if the website is down or if it's your connection or internet provider that is preventing you from getting to that website.

And hidemyass.com -- did you know you could use this free web proxy to travel the internet with your identity hidden?

How did I find out about these websites?

Well, I run several websites using Godaddy.com hosting services. This morning as I was working on Horror Books with the Undead Rat, the browser suddenly couldn't access the website at all. It looked as if the entire site had crashed.

When my wife called GoDaddy, they had her use whatsmyipaddress.com to find out what I.P. Address we had.

Then he had her use downforeveryoneorjustme.com to see if Intent was actually down or if it was something that prevented us from seeing it. The website told us that Intent was still up and running -- which was a great relief to me.

Finally we used hidemyass.com to verify that the website was up and that for some reason we were being blocked from seeing it. Sure enough I was able to see and interact with my website about horror books.

Minutes later, GoDaddy had fixed the problem and I could access Intent without a proxy. Happiness is restored.

And I learned about three great websites in the process.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great idea to check your IP. You can then see if anyone is hacking in.